Thursday, February 23, 2012

Player Profile: Ashley Stacey

So I have decided to take a different approach to these blogs for a little while. Its great that you all are so interested in what we are doing, and we thank you so much for your support, but for my next blogs I'm going to give you the athletes. I'm going to give you player profiles. Their back grounds and their stories. Not only allowing you to understand what we are doing, but who we are as people inside and outside of our sport.
I would like to introduce you to Ashley Stacey. Previously Ashley Patzer as most of you would recognize her as. This girl is World Class. Keep your eyes out for her in the next 4 years, because she ranks at the top on the world stage. A compact force to be reckoned with, and this is what she has to say.

When did you decide to start playing rugby and why?
I started playing rugby in high school, grade 10. It's kind of funny that I'm playing for the NSWT because I never wanted to play rugby in the first place. One of my best friends, shout out to Dani Whitehead :) convinced me to go and run around with the team. I figured I'd go a couple of times and use it as way to get in better shape. Little did I know I'd get roped into playing the first game of the season and fall in love with rugby. All's history from there.

What are some of your hobbies?
I don't know if this can be considered a hobby because I've only ever done it once, but I definitely want to do it a lot more in the future....we'll call it a future hobby. Skydiving!!! I went on my honeymoon and it was such an outrageous experience. One of my top 5 moments of life for sure. As for real hobbies, I love shopping and scrap booking when I have the time!

Whats your favorite TV series?
Oh this is so cliche, but Grey's Anatomy!! I just love that show.

Scrunch or fold?
I'm a semi neat freak, so fold. But I admit, I do scrunch sometimes when I'm in a hurry.

Full name: Ashley Diane Steacy
Birthday: June 28th, 1987
Age: you do the math ;)

Favorite article of clothing?
I've been converted recently (probably because of centralization and training 5 days a week) but I am in love with my lulu lemon wunderunder crops and pants, I don't know what I'd do without them.

Your fav moment so far during centralization?
Moving the couch and setting up a laptop in the middle of the living room and learning how to do the shuffle with my roomie (Kelsey Willoghby) by googling "how to shuffle". (youtube LMFAO-party rock anthem). Hours of non-stop giggling, fist pumping and dancing.... love those nights :)

When was your first tour and who did you look up to or look forward to playing with the most when your opportunity came?
 My first tour was Scotland/Wales in 2007. My idol on the senior team was Maria Gallo. I remember being on tour for the U-19's and the Senior team was there on tour as well and a couple of the senior players came to hand out jersey's for our jersey presentation and Maria Gallo gave me mine. I was so ecstatic and nervous, she scared the piss out of me. That was before I got to know her. Anyways, I always looked forward to playing with Gallo and I'm really really lucky I was able to play along side her for 4 years.

What has rugby done for you personally?
Rugby has impacted my life in multiple ways. It has given me the opportunity to travel and see a lot of the world. I probably wouldn't have had the chance to see much of it if I hadn't played rugby. It's also helped me gain my education as I played CIS rugby and had scholarships which motivated me to finish my degree (Thank goodness I'm finally done now... it took a while).  I've also met some of my best friends through rugby!

What would one place you would like to travel to?
My number one is Greece! Haha, thanks to sisterhood of the travelling pants. I really hope to get there someday!
favorite meal?Cheesecake.... ok ok, a real meal... Steak and potatoes cooked by my one and only! Best. Meal. Ever!!!

Sweet or sour?
Definitely Sweet

Patzer is an outstanding person inside and out. One of the most kind people you will ever meet in your life time. Here are a few things her team had to say about her.
Funny, Caring, Gorgeous and quick.
Patz is incredibly dedicated to this team, always there to help others and
gives it her all on and off the pitch!
Cute laugh.
Packs a punch for her size!
Considerate of others. Kind hearted.
World Class rugby player.
One of the best people to play beside.

I have a great story about Patz. We were in Vegas around midnight on the Sunday after our games and I was wondering around trying to find anyone who wanted to eat. I found kayla Mo and Patz wondering around as well, luckily the first thing they said is they wanted to get food. I jumped on board! We get to this really amazing looking hot dog eatery. I say hot dog eatery weather it makes sense or not because it wasn't a Stand or a restaurant. It had every hot dog, every topping you could imagine. My mouth is watering thinking about it! So we order, no big deal. Kayla gets a naked dog, then realizes that my chili cheese dog looked like a boss compared to her naked dog, so she orders chili on hers. Patzers hot dog comes and its in a wrap. Sure, a hot dog in a wrap, looks great lets eat. Eating, chatting. Well very little chat if I'm honest. Then I look over and Patzer has 2 hot dogs in this wrap. I say "holy smokes you got a double, well done." Not maybe 30 seconds later she discovers a 3rd hot dog! It was a triple. She ordered a triple bacon chili cheese dog in a wrap. This thing was a monster!!! She than starts to say how she cant finish it. I say "why would you order a triple dog?!" Pater replies, "I thought it was just 3 hot dogs." I look at her with confusion and say "wait, like 3 separate hot dogs?! How is that any better than the triple dog wrap you got?!" We continued to laugh cause it really made no sense. I guess this is one of those you would have had to have been there moments to fully appreciate its humor!

Patzer, your outstanding and we love you, this one goes out to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment