Sunday, April 8, 2012

Kelly "the love muscle" Russell



After a 3 week break, post Hong Kong, we are back on the scene here with Kelly Russell.
Kelly grew up in Bolton, Ontario. She has a dazzling family who supports her, and can usually be found at most event scattered across the globe. She was two sisters, one of which is here centralized with her. When I asked her about Laura, this is what Kelly said, "I'm really lucky to have Laura out here and experiencing this all with me, we are super close and it's very fun to be able to play together and push each other to be better everyday." I think that is extremely special, and nice to have being away from so many loved ones, which Kelly has mentioned being one of the greatest challenges faced to date. Growing up in Bolton and attending Humberveiw Secondary, Kelly plays rugby with the Toronto Nomands. When I asked what playing for the Toronto Nomads ment to Kelly she responded with this.

"I am a second generation Nomad after my dad who I grew up watching play for them. I started playing with them myself when I was 15. The Nomads have been phenomenal in the support they have given me throughout my rugby career. Their support means the world to me and has helped me develop into the player I am today. I'm so happy to be part of the club and represent them on the International stage."

Kelly where was your first cap? Tell us how you felt?

"My first cap was against Scotland in 2007. It was a surreal feeling. I can remember the game like it was yesterday. I was really excited and nervous, but couldn't stop smiling when I came off the field. We won too! Today I have 23 15s caps and 11 sevens caps, I've been to 2 World Cups (7s in '09 and 15s in '10) and I still feel the same pride every time I step on the field for Canada."

No only that, but adding to  that list she has recently Captained Canada in both the Las Vegas and Hong Kong 7s Tournaments this year. Something to be very proud of.

So tell us about the last year, pretty successful. Where did you see yourself in the 7s scene moving forward?

"Looking back on last year is pretty crazy. It was a busy year. A lot of work and preparation went into developing our game both as a team and as individuals. We are very proud of what we have accomplished so far and looking forward to challenging ourselves even more."

What does being centralized mean to you?

"It means having the freedom of really being able to just focus on rugby. We have the opportunity to train as professional athletes with a whole wack of resources at our fingertips. It's a really amazing opportunity for us. Something that I never would have thought, even just a few years ago, that would've happened in my playing days."

Kelly, what sports you have been involved in the past?

"In high school I was involved with almost everything from basketball to throwing javelin and discus in track and field. And I also played a lot of baseball growing up as well."

So I guess we all want to know, why rugby?

"Rugby encompassed every aspect of sport that I loved. The challenge, physicality, teamwork, and fun."

You have Charlie here, your companion, would you like to share his story!?

"Well Charlie is my wolf hound mix pup. Clayton and I picked him up in December right before coming out here. He made the drive out here with Laura and I and has really been an amazing companion to have. He is extremely funny and like I said before he can get into a bit of trouble sometimes but everyday he makes us laugh cuz he's a little nutty."

How are the dynamics in your house?

"Our place is awesome and couldn't ask for a better roommate then Burk. Whether or not she's annoyed by the multiple times we have come home to a house full or ripped up recycling that Charlie has gotten into, she stays pretty cool and I appreciate it haha."

Typically you can be seen eating, what is your favorite post training food? Of all the gold medal meals what has been you favorite?

"Always up for a good snack I will really have anything. But right now I stick to my recovery shake, a piece of fruit and a granola bar usually. I'd say my favorite gold medal meal has been the pulled pork sandwich we used to get."
Scrunch or fold?

"Seriously I used to be a scruncher but have now turned into a folder."

Can you share some of your fav moments? A funny story?!

"Honestly this is so cheesy but really just laughing everyday with the girls. Something happens everyday that cracks me up."

Whats your biggest pet peeve?

"Bad drivers and traffic, and bad drivers causing traffic..."

Lastly, and because I think this is something very important to any athlete. The road, the people involved, the support, the emotion.What has it taken for you to get to where you are today?

"Definitely the support and love from my family and friends. I have also been really lucky to have had some amazing coaches, and learnt early on that hard work pays off."

Kelly is an outstanding teammate, captain, athlete and in general genuine person. There isn't a session she doesn't come to switched on and ready to give it everything she has. Her passion for the game, and desire to learn is one of her most admirable qualities. Something I feel I personally have shared with Kelly through out the years has been the final minutes before running onto the pitch, i turn to Kelly and she gives me this nod. I know this nod, very well. Its a nod saying were ready, we know what we need to do, lets just go out and do it. It has actually been the one thing I feel I look forward to, as it calms me, and gives me that last ounce of believe.
Kelly, your world class. I have no doubt in your ability to succeed! You will achieve this with your never say die attitude. Not only I, but us all, are very lucky to get the chance to play and perform beside you. Thanks Kelly.

And one for the record, Kelly also attended Western University, something we all know very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment