Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mind of a stubborn athlete



I'm just going to go off on one here.
More of a conversation that I am having with myself. I would love for you to be involved though!
As an athlete, being the way we are, the hard work we put into everything we do.
It becomes your business. You are apart of a company. Something big.
Suddenly when there are set backs in that something huge you are apart of, you feel like your world comes crashing down.
I see it everyday in the people around me. I see it in the athletes I train with, my teammates, or you see other athletes training in the gym or on the track putting in the same commitment and efforts you are. Now when someone tells you that you can't do something, it makes you want it more then you ever wanted it before. Its almost like your purpose or reason for being is taken away from you.
Well, at least that's how it feels as an elite athlete who has given their life to their sport.

For example an injury. It doesn't matter what kind of injury it is, they all have similar effects on each individual. You have the serious injury that is going to take months and months to heal, and you know that what you need to do is rest. Little activity as possible, and rehab. Lots and lots of rehab. Now even though you know that this is going to take months and months, and you can't do anything to speed it up, you are going to be the most difficult, most stubborn, most impatient person you could imagine being until you're back in the game. Totally normal.
As much as we like to think the sport we play doesn't define us, something like an injury just makes that "being defined" more concrete. It does, because during that time you feel lost, confused, emotional, like your life is in shambles and its coming to an end. There couldn't possibly be anything worse! Even though going through all of this you have your friends and family who support you, you still feel a little bit on your own. That is where a life balance comes in, but that's a whole other topic!

No matter how serious the set back, you go through the same emotions!
All you want to do is be healthy, fit, back in the game, put me in coach I am ready!
Little do we know as an athlete time off / body management is just as important as the training you do on the pitch!

I was talking to my physio today and was telling him how much extra soft tissue I had done, and how I went to town on my neck and back, thinking that I had done the right thing! He then says, that's great that you went to town, but you know that less is probably more in most situations when it comes to niggles or injuries. He said "you prob just went and pissed it off." When actually just taking a couple days and letting things settle down is probably my best bet.
Go figure! But me being the stubborn athlete I am, thinking I'm doing what's best, I was actually probably not doing myself any favors!

Something funny happened to me today. You might have had to be there to fully understand the humor in it, but we were on the pitch starting up some contact drills. Well I was told not to participate, so I was standing on the side line, getting impatient. So I started to try and mimic what they were doing against the move able goal posts. What I thought was being discrete, was actually on show for everyone to see, and pretty much got told to just sit still!
I find it very hard to just sit still, when all I want to be doing is the same thing as everyone else!
Even though I am fully capable of doing the drills and the contact, that doesn't mean its going to help me any in the bigger picture. So just taking a bit of time to let things settle is best. Maybe then I wont be burdened with chronic pain?

Body management is so important, even at my age I have gotten much better, but still, I find myself trying to fight the inevitable. These things happen! Coach says there isn't an award for who is the most brave, nip it in the bud early, be smart about these things! It could be the difference in you being average for a minute and then progress from your injury to being your outstanding self or you being consistently average all year!
Set backs stink, and as an athlete you will either be lucky enough to never have to deal with any injuries, you may only have had to deal with a few, or your entire career has been littered with injuries that even your physio cant explain. You just have hard luck.

The most extraordinary thing about elite athletes is no matter how hard their luck may have been they don't give up. They do everything in their power to get back to 100% and do it all over again. And a lot of them say that they wouldn't have had it any other way. It has made them stronger. Frustrating, and mentally defeating, but they over come that. Those hurdles and challenges they have embraced during their roller coaster ride has made them who they are.

I was talking to a friend who is a Strength and Conditioning coach and he said that "we like to hire athletes because they don't call in sick when they have anything less then the squirts. They take the same pride in their working as they did in playing." I'd say that pretty much describes it!

There are some really impressive people out there.  A few of those people are on my team, and you know who you are, but every day you inspire me and the people around you for being there, doing what you can do, and still striving for that greatness. No matter the challenges your being faced with you come with a smile on your face, and encourage those around you. That takes a lot and I thank you, for being an outstanding teammate, and believing in us, because we all believe in you.



Thanks for sticking around for my little rant.
This is something you see people go through on a daily basis and I am always impressed with how these things get dealt with. Very strong determined people. Most people would crumble, but these ones don't!



2 comments:

  1. I've suffered through injuries before, so I can identify with the different emotions as you go through the highs and lows of recovery. I've been sidelined completely, went through a slow process of rehab, and allowed to do light exercises, only to overexert myself and end up back at square one. The experience definitely taught me to become more mature when it comes to dealing with injuries. Thanks for the insight, Mandy!

    -Madalyn

    ReplyDelete