Sunday, January 29, 2012

A dedication

I need to get this out. Its very important I do.
First things first.
In order to really appreciate ones success, you need to understand where it all started, and where it came from. Your parents.
A lot of people are proud of me. They think I work really hard for what I love. Their right, I do. But what they don't realize that these things are not just given to you, or a gift. It's the way I was brought up, and what I have worked for. I wouldn't have been able to do any of this if it wasn't for the opportunity I was given as a child, to chose what I wanted to do. With guidance of course.
Lets be honest, at 3 years of age I didn't sign my self up for soccer!
Growing up, my parents signed us up for whatever we decided we wanted to do. Not once did they say no, or did they ever complain about the cost. Seriously, my parents were angels. Not until now do I fully appreciate their patience. Really!
I'm dedicated, yes. Committed, sure I am!
But who got me there?
Who never let me give up?
Who always believed in me?
Mom and dad.
They have supported me through it all.
The thick and the thin. (and let me tell you, there were some thick)
Mom and dad were the ones who always did all the fundraising. The long days, the late nights.
At such a young age, I hadn't a clue!
They would get up at 5 am 3 mornings a week, and just a little later Saturday to drop me off at swimming.
Mom use to drop me off at school and or pick me up(until I learned how to drive) and never failed to have a little lunch or spending money for me. Occasionally a Mc Donalds Mc Chicken!!! Ya mom!
They came to every basket ball game, every volley ball game, every badminton game, every soccer game, every track and field or cross country meet, every rugby game, every swim meet no matter how long and boring the wait....sometimes it would be an 8 hour day for 2 min in the pool!
They were at every session, every practice, and usually dad with a video camera!
There is a lot of video footage of me growing up, doing what I love.
But you think that I am dedicated? That I am committed?
That's nothing compared to what my parents have dedicated/committed to my life. I believe they will take the cake on this one. I dedicate this to them. Larry and Teresa. Mom and dad.
You guys did it all, without fail, no hesitation or fight...maybe from me: ) (brat teen I was)
You guys are the models of why I am who I am. You guys showed me that growing up was hard work, and it would never be easy. But also what that hard work would do for you in the long run.
Mom, I always say to you, "oh my god, I have that trait of you guys as well!!!" In all honesty, I couldn't be happier that I am exactly like the perfect amount of you both.
You guys gave me tough skin, and never once let me doubt myself. No matter how tough the situation was, but that it could have always been worse. You never let me feel sorry for myself. You made my pick myself back up and try again.
We have been through a lot, and I may give you guys a hard time, but that's what kids do, and parents are there to knock them down a level or two. So mom and dad, thanks. For keeping me level headed and down to earth. I am who I am because of the examples you set for me. The freedom to make mistake and learn from them.
My parents have dedicated their lives for my brothers and my well being, happiness and success.
I'm getting a little choked up writing this, but I don't think any amount of words could really show you how much I truly love, and appreciate this wonderful life and opportunity you have guided me through.
My parents travel the world to watch me play International Rugby, and they are so proud of me. The one thing I look forward to the most is the approval of my parents after a match...that phone call. I don't think anything has ever mattered as much as the response I will get from my dad. My mom, the sweetest button in the world! Always thinks I do so well, bless you mom. My dad, a little bit more of tough love. I appreciate that, as much as I may not show it. But he keeps me on my targets. Reminds me of what my focus is. Some times I get frustrated, but realize how important it is, and how right he is.
I love you guys. Don't you ever forget that.
I mean, I must take some credit. But It all starts with the opportunities you are given.

I couldn't have started a blog about all these brand new things we will be doing with out really getting down to my roots and showing them how grateful I have been all these years. It just wouldn't have been fair.

My parents are my number one fans, and the most important people in my life, and if I cant shout it from the roof tops, Ill blog about it.

I love you mom and dad!

If you ever think about telling someone how much they mean to you, and what they have done in your past has helped you get this far, tell them. That little bit goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment