Sunday, January 15, 2012

You ever wake up in the morning and think to your self, is this really my life?!

Recently this is what I have waken up to. Day after day. Im sure it will ware off in time, but for now I will bathe in the fact that I am living what I, and the girls, like to refer to our situation as "the good life."
I will almost be travelling back in time as I go through how we have come to this.
Lets start with "this."
Being here, in Victoria, centralized with 20 girls.
At 27, finally "this" is my life. What we only ever really dreamed of at one stage. Now all here, training with the same goal in mind. The bigger picture is the 2016 Olympics. Rio. Short term goals included a world cup or two, Common wealth games, Pan am games, and the 4 or 5 tournaments we will compete in between all of that. I must say 2011 was one hell of a year for our Canadian womens program. We had a clean sweep and won all our tournaments, making history in the last official Challenge Cup in Dubai. We beat world champs Australia in the Semi finals to meet England in the final for a win. Lets just say we were pleased. Considering for us, it hadnt even begun.
So having said that, us all being here, preparing with the best support staff, a great group of athletes, and alot of iron will, I feel our program is only going to get stronger. This is what Canadian womens rugby needs!
I feel like I am waffling. I am, Im excited what can I say.
Ok back to this. Our dreams of becoming semi pro I guess you could say.
Its wonderful it is, but it has its ups and downs, like anything. Standard.
You get to traning like an Olympic athlete. Like.
You get to eat as much food as you want. Like.
I get to live with some amazing roommates who have the same goals and understanding. Like.
You have to leave family, and loved ones. Dislike.
I live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Like.
...those are just a few.

I'm going to go back to a thought I had the first day we arrived here, settling into our new place (very very cozy by the way), and I just caught my self staring at the wall. I had the thought of what am I going to do now? I'm settled in, I dont have a lot of money, my car is falling apart. I have one purpose. I'm here to train. The first time in a long time, and definitely in the last 3 days I felt like I had nothing to rush to. I didnt have to try to get my car fixed, I didnt have to run any errands, pick up bits and bobs. I literally had nothing to do but wait. Thats what it felt like. I didnt have to rush off to a session, try to catch the bus to get to a job. It was one of the most strange feelings I have ever encountered. A week in and I'm feeling much better. But when you think back to when you were younger and this was your dream, and then you get here...the feelings are way different that you could ever imagine! Its almost overwhelming, lonely, emotional, exciting, nervous, anxious.
A hole lot of everything is running through your mind! And then it starts...and you start to settle back into your happier place. Comfort. The things you know best. Your friends. Routine. The sounds of a loved on on the other line. Pictures. You know how it goes...what ever it is that makes you feel at home. That warmth.

These are just a few details of how its starting out. There is still how I got here.
Like I said Ill probably go backwards and forwards to bring me back to the present. Just stay with me, and I can promise you it will all make sense...or not. If you know me, I tend to get off topic, but will soon bring you back to the point.

Must sleep, as tomorrow is an early and exciting day.
Till next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment