Sunday, January 22, 2012

What a great end to a pretty awesome week!

A little wild really.
The week started off with some light snow. We dealt with it. Freezing fingers and toes, but we got on with it. Tuesday we actually ended up in the gym due to the amount of snow which was a shame. All last week we had the luxury of working with the NZ All Blacks skills kicking coach, Mick Byrne.
So that being said, Wednesday was a snow day which made it too dangerous to travel the island. So that left Thursday and Fiday as indoor trainings as well.
We didnt think we had gotten to use Mick to the full extent we would have liked to, or even the extent he would have loved to teach us. The things we have learned though, with the space and time we were given, have been absolute gold. I mean, he is brilliant. His approach and attitude draws you in. I actually wish we had more time. I really believe in his process, and feel it will take us to the level we need to be with our skills in the upcoming years.
Lucky for us Mick is staying for a few extra days, the rain has come and the snow is gone.
We seem to have come to Victoria just in time for all the madness in regards to the weather.
The amount of snow dumped in two days and the incredible High winds we have had today have caused a whole bunch of problems throughout the island.
It's been an experience!

I would like to share some thoughts and some of the experiences from the week.

Last week Tuesday, we were in a kicking session with Mick.
Definitely 100% in it. I was hooked on his every word.
But, I caught myself drifting off thinking, "I wonder how long this session will go? I have to...wait...I have to what!?" Nothing! All I have to do is have a meal provided for me after training, and then go for treatment! It's getting into that routine, the reality of why we are here. It's not like being at club rugby or anything recreational (and not down playing rec or club at all, but we have all had these thoughts, no matter how passionate or how much we love it) thinking, "I could be doing so much right now, why am I here, freezing, bored, I know this, we have done this a million times, maybe I'll leave early, I have home work, have errands to run." I actually have to, want to, show up focused, 7-12, my only thoughts are on the training session, it doesn't go beyond that. Even after the clock strikes 12, I find myself at home, re writing my notes, thinking about what I can do more of, or less of, or improve on, and work on! I find myself constantly thinking here...and that's because this is my purpose, my focus.

Funny, we all want to find jobs to help our situation out. Make some cash, pay the rent.
Coming home after the long day, already finding it hard to believe that the day has been so productive, could'nt imagine going to work in the afternoon. All I want to do is sleep!
I have some leads though. Will be doing some landscaping, and will be meeting with a lady from a fitness center for part time work. Can't complain. I feel my life has revolved around jobs coming and going. So this will be no different.

Discovered some amazing activities to pass time, and relax. Oak bay rec center has a pool, hot tub, steam room and sauna! I mean let's be honest, how perfect does that sound?! Let me tell you, it was amazing. After leaving there I felt like a new person.
Great yoga class! Wasn't the typical hot yoga where they try to get you to go past your limits. This was legit. The guy sounded like he was an auctioneer. Didn't hold anything to long, just long enough, lights were on, and it was a little packed and stuffy. But the class itself was built for people like me! I don't have flexibility. He just made sure I was pointed in the right directions, and then let you be the judge! My style. It was great.

...I forgot my groceries at store. You ever do that before?
I have never forgotten my groceries until Wednesday afternoon. Sooooo frustrated!
I was probably thinking it could have all fit into one bag.
I think I was mostly bothered because I had purchased these silicon egg poachers. The one thing I wanted to do when I got home was poach my eggs in the new poachers! Also my Kraft dinner...not the meal of champions, but if you ever just want comfort food, you need to make sure you have a "just in case" stash. Mine consists of the box of Kraft Dinner, and a box of 4 pizza pops. Yep "just in case," or when I wake up at 3am hungry...ya, that happens. They say it's my metabolism...or if you're my mom, denial! Thanks mom.

Friday we had a Civil reception where all the Board Members of Rugby Canada, the city of Langford counselors and ministers, as well as the Canada Men's and Women's Rugby 7s teams got together for a couple thank yous and awards, followed by a mean hour of bowling. First I would like to say, meeting some of the board members and speaking with them was a nice chance to thank them for a lot of the efforts they have been putting forward to make the connections with the Center of Excellence work. The opportunity they have given us has not gone unnoticed or without much thanks. 7's  Men's player of the year was awarded to Sean Duke. Gerant talked nothing but highly of him. For the Women, Ghislaine Landry. Very well deserved. Some of the things used to describe Ghis were her consistency, and her progress in her impressive defence, and big tackles.
Then we got our bowl on! I got to bowl with the likes of  Ida Chu, Graham Brown, Myles Spencer and Rick Bourne. Let me tell you, Rick Bourne beat us all by a landslide....and quite honestly, I was surprised! Graham Brown took over for Ida and became a contender. Ida was killing it, and then when she left Graham claims he didn't want to show her up...riiiight.
Over all great night, good socializing.

I'm looking foward to the week to come, as we have now finished a lot of our introductions, and will be progressing into more of a routine. Vegas isn't too far away, and with the calendar shoot quickly approaching, we have a lot on our plates.

"Do just once what others say you cant do, and you will never pay attention to their limitaions again"
-James R. Cook

Take care you guys, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment